Twitter

Thursday, April 1, 2010

TMNT

Yesterday, Peter Sciretta from slashfilm.com reported the 20th anniversary of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' theatrical release.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or TMNT had a big effect on my childhood.  I went to go see the movie for my birthday with a group of friends and it was awesome.  From that point on, I was a huge fan.  I got all the action figures, their lair, watched the cartoon, used the word cowabunga and even watched the sequels.  My friends and I would quote the movie all the time.  I still quote the movie.  I wanted to be a Ninja Turtle and I still want to be a Ninja Turtle.

I had a chance to meet Josh Pais, the original Raphael.  It was a surreal experience.  I was taking the Summer Intensive at the Atlantic Theater School.  I was pretty psyched to take a class with the Raphael and he didn't disappoint.  He was very cool and fun guy.  He probably caught me looking at him with a grin on my face as he was talking through out the class because his normal speaking voice is Raphael's voice.

I think the reason I enjoyed this movie so much as an 8 year old boy is that their world was my world.  Unlike Star WarsTMNT took place in my galaxy, NYC to be exact.  At the time, NYC was probably the equivalent of Italy in a Shakespeare play, a place where anything could happen.  So in the back of my head I always thought there might actually be Ninja Turtles living in a sewer somewhere eating pizza, watching April O'Neil on the news while Splinter meditated.

A boy can dream, can't he?


Here's the link to Peter's own little trip down memory lane plus the Theatrical Trailer:
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/03/30/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-live-action-movie-was-released-20-years-ago-today/

No comments:

Post a Comment